If the you-know-what hits the fan, many of us will have to supplement our food storage with wild plants, fruit or berries. Few of us have actually researched or practiced foraging for food, so getting into medical trouble by eating inedible plants will be pretty common. Here are a few guidelines when it comes to identifying what’s edible:
How Can I Tell If a Plant or Mushroom is Edible?
1. Unless you’re a mushroom expert, stay away from these guys. Colored mushrooms, except for some morels, are just plain poisonous. Even white mushrooms are risky, as some bad ones look almost identical to some edible ones.
2. Don’t eat plants that are infested with worms, parasites or insects. Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury may think worms and grubs are yummy, but the rotting fruit they infest is just that, rotten.
3.Ferns are generally inedible. Some contain certain carcinogens or block the absorption of certain vitamins.
What Nuts and Berries Can I Eat?
4.Most red berries are trouble. Red means danger most of the time, except for raspberries and a few others. Same goes with most white berries.
5.You can’t eat everything that other animals eat. Acorns, for example, are fine for squirrels but contain tannins that make them incredibly bitter. Large amounts of them damage your liver. (With some preparation, they could be edible)
These are just 5 tips to tell you what to stay away from. A good investment would be a guide to edible plants, with lots of photos (drawings just don’t tell the tale). There are various guides that you can find online. Tune in to the next DOOM and BLOOM(tm) Show for more information, Mondays at 9 eastern/8 central on the Prepper Podcast.