Sore throats can occur for a variety of reasons. If you have a cold or sinusitis, with post nasal drip, the throat can become painful and inflamed. Strep throat is an infection of the throat caused by a bacteria called Group A Streptococcus and usually also causes a fever, this is treated with antibiotics and can be serious. Most sore throats are viral and are not treated with antibiotics.
Pain relief is usually the goal of treatment.
1. Take pain relievers. Use acetaminophen or ibuprofen as directed. Ibuprofen also acts as an anti-inflammatory. Willow bark is an analgesic, if no medications are available. Learn how to prepare it.
2. Gargle. There are various combination of gargle solutions: warm salt water, equal parts mouthwash/hydrogen peroxide, warm vinegar/salt/water. There is no limit to gargling, just don’t drink the liquid!
3. Drink warm fluids. Again there are many tea combinations available: black tea or herbal tea/lots of honey/lemon with or without a pinch of cayenne pepper powder, 1/2 water 1/2 juice ( grape/cranberry/pomegranate) boiled with 1/8 tsp ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger then strained and mixed with lots of honey. Place a cinnamon stick in any tea you make, before drinking and let it sit for a few minutes, to boost the healing powers
4. Honey. There is no limit, eat honey at least 2 tablespoons three times a day. You can add fresh chopped garlic for additional healing. Honey is a natural anti-microbial and will soothe the inflammation.
5. Steam inhalation. Heat water in a bowl and place your head under a towel near the water and breathe deeply. Add a few drops of lavender oil or eucalyptus oil if desired. Sitting in a steamy bathroom will help also.
6. Lozenges. Use licorice lozenges or any herbal sore throat lozenges you have. Lemon honey is a good combination too.
7. Decongestant. Use sudafed or nasal spray as directed to dry up the post nasal drip.
8. Drink cold fluids. Cold fluids will soothe the pain, berry juice will give you vitamin c for healing. Cut the acid of the juice with water if it burns. Fluids are important during illness.
9. Go to the doctor. If the pain is severe, lasts more then a couple of days or a fever is present, go to the doctor immediately. Strep throat can cause severe complications.
Most sore throats are self-limiting and clear up with these simple treatments. During a collapse situation it will be important to have these remedies available. Honey has many benefits for your well-being, please see my previous post on honey to read all about it.